New smartKPIs.com Report Ranks the Top Research and Development KPIs of 2010
smartKPIs.com, the world's largest source of thoroughly documented Key Performance Indicator (KPI) examples announces that Research Efficiency and Patenting KPIs dominate the "Top 25 R&D KPIs of 2010". "Top KPIs of 2010" is a collection of research reports discussing the most popular KPIs of 2010 across functional areas and industries.
- (1888PressRelease) April 14, 2011 - Melbourne, Australia - As more companies acknowledge the role of Research and Development (R&D) activities as a catalyst for differentiation and sustainable competitive advantage, optimizing R&D is a priority for many of them. In this context, KPIs are some of the more popular instruments used to drive the achievement of desired outcomes, across industries and functional areas. A KPI is a selected indicator considered key for monitoring the performance of a strategic objective, outcome, or key result area important to the success of an activity and growth of the organization overall. Out of the hundreds of R&D KPI examples in use today the research team at smartKPIs.com documented over 75 of them in the online database with the same name. Starting with this year, a selection of the most popular KPIs will be analysed in detail as part of an annual research report.
The "Top 25 R&D KPIs of 2010" report provides insights in the state of R&D performance measurement today by listing and analysing the most visited KPIs on smartKPIs.com in 2010. It is part of the "Top KPIs of 2010" series of reports and a result of the research program conducted by the analysts of smartKPIs.com in the area of integrated performance management and measurement. smartKPIs.com hosts the largest catalogue of thoroughly documented KPI examples available today and representing an excellent platform for research and dissemination of insights on KPIs and related topics. The hundreds of thousands of visits to smartKPIs.com and the thousands of KPIs visited, bookmarked and rated by members of this online community in 2010 provided a rich data set, which combined with further analysis from the editorial team, formed the basis of these research reports.
The "Top 25 R&D KPIs of 2010" report contains in addition to KPI names, a detailed description of each KPI, as documented in smartKPIs Premium and other relevant content. While dominated by Research Efficiency and Patenting KPIs, with 10 KPI examples in the Top 25, some other KPIs listed in the report come from categories such as Research Funding, Budget Management, Talent management, Cooperation and Research Effectiveness:
1. $ Research & development costs
2. # Concept approval cycle time
3. % Development cost per new product
4. # Employees in R&D
5. % R&D projects involving customers
"The Top 25 R&D KPIs of 2010 report is a synthesis of what smartKPIs.com is all about: it forms an overview of how R&D KPIs are used in practice today, by combining input from the online community with analysis and insights from our research team. By discussing the use of KPIs today, presenting the best practice in documenting them and listing the most popular KPIs of 2010, the Top KPIs of 2010 series of reports are valuable resources in promoting the informed use of KPIs or refreshing the existing performance measurement and management practice in any organization." said Aurel Brudan, the Performance Architect of smartKPIs.com.
http://www.smartkpis.com is the leading online platform for performance management knowledge integration, hosting the largest database of thoroughly documented KPI examples available on the web today. It offers high quality resources and collaboration functionality for the community of members, assisting them in making smart decisions regarding their performance management initiatives. Registration is free and enables research, learning and interaction as part of a growing community of members from over 190 countries and territories. smartKPIs.com is operated by eab group, an innovative research driven provider of integrated performance management solutions, based in Melbourne, Australia.
Jessie Zhang, eab group, Tel: +61 3 9670 2979, Email: jessie.zhang ( @ ) smartKPIs dot com