2012 SPJ Northwest Excellence in Journalism Contest Calls for Entries
SPJ's Region 10 launches its annual Northwest Excellence in Journalism Contest and calls for entries.
- Seattle-Bellevue-Everett, WA (1888PressRelease) January 09, 2013 - Today Region 10 of the Society of Professional Journalists (SPJ) announced its call for entries for the 2012 SPJ Northwest Excellence in Journalism contest. The contest honors exceptional journalism published or produced in 2012 in Washington, Oregon, Alaska, Idaho and Montana in all forms of media (print, online, radio, and TV). Both SPJ and non-SPJ members are invited to participate in the contest.
The SPJ Northwest Excellence in Journalism contest is officially accepting entries today through 4:59 pm (PST) on Fri., Feb. 15, 2013. SPJ Regional Director Ian Marquand, a freelance journalist in Helena, Mont., highlights several changes to this year's contest:
• In Alternative Weeklies, the Criticism category was renamed Critiques and Reviews.
• In the Non-Daily Newspaper category, Portrait Photography was added.
• In Magazines, News Photography was eliminated.
• In the Online category, descriptions were added for clarification. In addition, Best Site, Commentary was eliminated.
• In Radio and Television, the General Excellence category was eliminated.
• In Television, for the purpose of clarification, Spot News Reporting is now Live Breaking News Coverage and Photojournalism is now Video Photography.
In the 2011 contest, approximately 2,000 entries in 200 categories were received from around the region. A similar number is anticipated this year. In late February, entries will be submitted to out-of-state journalists for judging, due back at the end of March. Winners' notifications will be made in mid to late April. The Western Washington Pro and Southwestern Washington/Oregon Pro SPJ chapters will present awards to those in their respective chapters at awards banquets in Seattle and Portland on Sat., May 18. The remaining awards will be announced online that evening and presented by their respective chapter leaders.
For more information about the contest or to begin submitting entries through Omni Solutions, please visit the contest entry portal at http://reg10spjcontest.com.
For questions, please contact contest administrator Ruth Pettis at ruthpettis10 ( @ ) gmail dot com or 206-781-8097, or SPJ Secretary/Treasurer Dana Neuts at spjdana ( @ ) gmail dot com or 360-920-1737, or regional director Ian Marquand at marquand.im ( @ ) gmail dot com or 406-529-6494.