The joint venture between AMB and Swisscom to construct a fibre-optic network in the Bellinzona region gets the go-ahead

Top Quote The joint venture between Aziende Municipalizzate di Bellinzona (AMB) and Swisscom for the construction of a fibre-optic network in the Bellinzona region can get under way now that Bellinzona’s Communal Council, on 22 October, has given its approval. End Quote
  • (1888PressRelease) October 23, 2012 - This is the first agreement of its kind in Ticino and will enable people in the Bellinzona region to take advantage of an innovative and ultra-high-speed infrastructure.
    AMB and Swisscom reached an agreement on 30 January this year. All issues concerning the venture were analysed and defined during the following months. The “Messaggio Municipale” project was submitted to Bellinzona’s Communal Council, which approved it at its meeting on 22 October.

    The construction of a fibre-optic communication network in the Bellinzona region was started by AMB in 2010 and by Swisscom in September 2011. The launch of the joint venture will see the two partners combine their capabilities, sharing connections implemented and those planned over the next five years.

    Around 14,000 households and local businesses in the town of Bellinzona and the surrounding communes will be connected by 2017. Swisscom will undertake the construction work in the city of Bellinzona while AMB will focus on the other towns and villages in the region.

    The total cost of upgrading the fibre-optic network in the Bellinzona region will amount to around CHF 47 million. The project will be of major importance to the local economy. Swisscom will bear 60% of the costs while the remaining 40% will be assumed by AMB.

    The fibre-optic communication network will allow people living in the Bellinzona region to access high-speed telecommunications services and, being based on the open infrastructure model, to freely select the service provider of their choice.

  • FB Icon Twitter Icon In-Icon
Contact Information