Noted Radiation Expert Dr. DeMeo to Share Insights of RST's Experiences Supporting the Clean-up Following the Fukushima Nuclear Disaster and Discuss Strategies to Ensure Safety, including New Multi-Hazard Protective Apparel.
(1888PressRelease) October 18, 2011 - MIAMI & TOKYO - Ronald DeMeo, M.D., president and CEO of Radiation Shield Technologies (RST), will provide a presentation titled, "Lessons Learned from Fukushima: Nuclear Threats and Multi-Hazard Protective Apparel," from 2 p.m. to 2:45 p.m. Friday, October 21, at the RISCON Tokyo Security & Safety Trade Expo 2011, in the West Hall 12 Conference Tower, at the Tokyo Big Sight (Tokyo International Exhibition Center) located at 3-11-1 Ariake, Koto-ku, Tokyo, 135-0063, Japan. RST also will provide information and display its technologies at Booth No. 1A51 from Wednesday, October 19, through Friday, October 21, at the Higashidashoukou, Inc., exhibit in the West Hall of the exhibition center.
Dr. DeMeo will share insights of his company's experiences donating more than 200 Demron Full-Body Suits and Torso Vests to help protect the rescue workers involved in the clean-up following the Fukushima Nuclear Disaster. He will offer strategies for ensuring safety for first responders, including deploying the most advanced radiation-protection technologies and safety protocols. Among these, Dr. DeMeo will discuss RST's Demron, deployed worldwide as the world's first and only armor to provide complete multi-hazard protection from all nuclear, biological, chemical, bomb and ballistic threats, as well as infrared radiation and heat.
"We learned a lot while working with Japanese authorities to donate our life-saving Demron technologies and assessing Japan's safety protocols," said Dr. DeMeo, the surgeon, entrepreneur and inventor who created the patented Demron. "Simply put, global authorities must recognize that nuclear threats from accidents like Fukushima as well as from an ever-changing enemy are an inevitable reality, and they must leverage the latest technologies and safety protocols to protect their first responders, military and the general public.
"In the case of Japan, it's clear the country was caught off guard and was not prepared to handle this emergency, and countless adults and children were exposed to harmful radiation," Dr. DeMeo added. "The effects are currently being studied and, while we may not know for impacts for some time, we do know for certain that the nuclear disaster that occurred in Japan could happen anywhere in the world, and our global leaders need to be better prepared."
RISCON Tokyo Security & Safety Trade Expo 2011 is an international expo that will feature presentations focused on radiation contamination, decontamination and the latest developments in personal-protective technology. At the event, Dr. DeMeo will showcase the Demron technologies, currently the most advanced available ont the market. They are used globally by members of the military, first responders, HAZMAT teams, police and fire-rescue personnel and health care professionals, among others. In addition to Japan, Demron is used worldwide by NATO, NASA, the National Guard, US Navy, UAE and the governments of South Korea, China, Saudi Arabia and Australia, among others.
"Radiation Shield Technologies developed Demron because we recognized a need for lightweight, durable, flexible personal-protection gear that provides total multi-hazard protection and enables users to work comfortably with the peace of mind of knowing they're well-protected," Dr. DeMeo said. "Demron eliminates the guesswork by enabling users to deploy one technology to combat all types of threats, including traditional ballistics and bombs, as well as IED's, RDD's, RED's and the ever-increasing nuclear and radiological threats."
Demron technologies on display at RISCON include:
● Demron Full-Body Suit, engineered to provide universal protection against ionizing and non-ionizing radiation. The suit is lightweight, flexible and cool and protects against heat stress.
● Demron-W High Energy Nuclear/Ballistic IED RDD RED Shield, provides unsurpassed fragmentation protection and can be used as a suppression blanket for IED's, RDD's, and RED's.
● Demron Anti-Ballistic IIIA, Anti-Nuclear, Self-Cooling Vest, made with cool stealth technology making it the only self-cooling vest on the market today. It provides IIIA protection and is also the only vest to reduce gamma radiation.
● Demron Bra prototype, which has been specifically designed to reduce the amount of ionizing radiation exposure from the outside environment from entering into the breast tissue, essentially, reducing the risk of breast cancer.
RST, Demron's exclusive manufacturer, has 13 U.S. and international patents. Demron has been proven to block gamma rays, X-rays and nuclear emissions by the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory, part of the National Nuclear Security Administration within the U.S. Department of Energy, the Georgia Institute of Technology and the Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons. Demron's certifications include:
● Safety Equipment Institute (SEI) Class 2 certification under the National Fire Protective Agency's (NFPA) 1997-2007 Standard on Protective Ensembles for First Responders to Chemical Biological Radiological and Nuclear (CBRN) Terrorism Incidents
● National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) Class 2 Certification for the 1994-2007 Standard on Protective Ensembles for First Responders to CBRN Terrorism Incidents
● ISO 9001:2008 and ISO 13485:2003
● National Institute of Justice (NIJ) 0108.01 Certification for the Demron High Energy Nuclear/Ballistic IED RDD Shield
● National Institute of Justice (NIJ) 0101.06 Certified Ballistic Vest
RST, with headquarters and manufacturing facilities in Miami, is a global leader in the research, development and production of multi-hazard personal-protection performance enhancement systems. Visit www.radshield.com or call (866) 7DEMRON or (866) 733-6766.
Editor's Notes: Interviews, studies, research, photos and videos available
Jeannie Salameh or Tyler Sminkey
jeannie ( @ ) roarmedia dot com or tyler ( @ ) roarmedia dot com
(727) 644-5010 or (305) 403-2080, Ext. 114 www.RoarMedia.com