Ghost Hunting At Temple Newsam, Leeds, Yorkshire, with Simply Ghost Nights, 29th March 2014

Top Quote With such a wealth of historic ghost sightings, and with murders and intrigues what a place to hold a paranormal investigation at Temple Newsam. There is the famous sighting of the blue lady who is said to walk in and around Temple Newsam Leeds. End Quote
  • (1888PressRelease) December 12, 2013 - Temple Newsam has such a colourful past as there has been a building on the grounds from the times of the Doomsday book where it was known as Neuhusamand was owned by Ilbert de Lacy. Prior to that it had been owned by Dunstan and Glunier who were Anglo-Saxon thanes. And in 1155 it was given to the Knights Templar however in 1307 the Templars were suppressed and in 1377 by Royal decree the estate reverted to Sir Philip Darcy.

    After this period from about 1537 the ownership of the house swung between the crown and private ownership sometimes in in a deathly manner for example Sir Philip Darcy was executed for the part he played in the Pilgrimage of Grace and Temple Newsam was seized by the Crown. In 1544 Henry VIII gave it to his niece Margaret The Countess of Lennox and her husband Matthew Stuart The Earl of Lennox. Their son Henry, Lord Darnley was born in the house in 1545. Darnley married Mary Queen of Scots, and once again Temple Newsam was seized by the Crown in 1565 by Queen Elizabeth. In 1603 James I granted it to his relative Ludovic The Duke of Lennox. In 1622 the estate was bought by Sir Arthur Ingram for £12,000. During the next 20 years the mansion was rebuilt, incorporating some of the previous house in the west wing.

    Sir Arthur Ingram extended some of the wings to his desired choice and in the 1760s Charles The 9th Viscount, employed Capability Brown to re-landscape the park. Eventually Temple Newsam had a more settled ownership where it was inherited through the Marchioness Of Hereford lineage until in 1909 when the estate were compulsory purchased by Leeds Corporation at Knostrop to build a sewage plant and coal mining commenced at the edge of the park.

    In 1922 Edward Wood sold the park and house to Leeds Corporation for a nominal sum, placing covenants over them to ensure their preservation for the future. And to this day Temple Newsam as been under the guardianship of Leeds Council who look after the house, the gardens and the exotic Chinese wallpaper and the Moses tapestries.

    With such a wealth of history with murders and intrigues regarding the Royal lines to the throne, what a place to hold a paranormal investigation at Temple Newsam. In addition to this there are ghostly tales of figures been seen walking in the corridors dressed in Elizabethan clothes only to vanish through a solid wall. Ghostly black shadows have also appeared in many of the rooms only to disappear as quickly as they were spotted. The spirit of a child is said to haunt the upstairs rooms and it is rumoured that her giggles can be heard too.

    The owners Stuart & Rosey were once holding a vigil at Temple Newsam many years ago when the K2 meters inexplicably begun to spike to the red light on command and at the same time a guttural incarnate voice was heard in the same room too.

    Together with all this history and many examples of recorded activity that has been collected over the years, a ghost hunt at Temple Newsam is one that cannot be missed.

    Participate in.
    •Victorian Séances
    •Table Tipping Experiments
    •Ouija Boards
    •Glass Divination

    Use all the latest ghost hunting equipment such as K2 meters, Franks box, motion sensors, sound enhancers, infra red camera's, and much more as we search for ghostly communication from the other side.

    Selby Road, Leeds, West Yorkshire LS15 0AD.

  • FB Icon Twitter Icon In-Icon
Contact Information