New Leading High Profile Speakers at the BORDERPOL Conference
BORDERPOL continues to announce leading experts and border agency participation in their inaugural conference in London this October with key names from the forces talking about border protection issues and challenges, including the Schengen area, as well as organisations that deliver the research and innovations that supports the function of the border agencies.
- (1888PressRelease) May 10, 2012 - The latest high profile speaker confirmed at this year's conference is Colonel Antti Hartikainen, Director General of National Board of Customs, Finland who will be looking at Best practices in cooperation between Finnish Police, Border Guards and Customs.
The recent European developments has left a big question mark regarding the Schengen area, with both French and German Interior ministers requesting the repatriation of powers from the EU Commission.
The BORDERPOL conference programme will see an exciting panel discussion with leading experts, opinionists and practitioners discussing the very issue - "Shengen Area - how effectively is it working?"
The revolutionary Schengen Agreement set-up pan-European travel with no internal border controls. 17 years later, how well is Schengen working in allowing the free movement of the citizens of the 26 European countries? Is Schengen still able to counter illegal immigration and organized crime, such as narcotics and people trafficking? What is the future for Schengen in light of the recent economic challenges in Europe? Can the example of Schengen be applied to other regions in the World? Our expert panellists have much to discuss.
The Panelists include:
- Major Grzegorz Niemiec, Deputy Director of the Commanding Centre, Polish Border Guards
- Prof. Frank Gregory, Emeritus Professor of European Security, Mountbatten Centre for International Studies and former advisor to Home Select Committee, UK
- Ms. Penny Satches-Brohs, Senior Border Issues Advisor, Conflict Prevention Center from the Organization for Security and Co-operation in Europe (OSCE), Austria
- Hugo Brady, Senior Research Fellow, Centre for European Reform, Belgium
Other confirmed speakers in the conference programme include:
Aqab M Malik, Security Analyst & Strategist, Assistant Professor, Faculty of Contemporary Studies, National Defence University of Pakistan will speak in the conference session discussing 'Challenges of Border Management and Illegal Immigration in Asia and Downstream Effects in the West'.
Andrew Williams, Institute of Policing and Criminal Justice Studies, University of Cumbria UK will be presenting a case study on the Challenges to Border Security in the Middle East: Intent and Reality.
The BORDERPOL Annual Conference and Expo will bring together the world's senior policy makers, practitioners and players, in London, UK, October 16th-17th 2012, to discuss and debate the current and future issues facing the international border management, security and migration management sector.
For further information visit www.borderpol-event.org