Meny Announces Marriage Equality "Trailblazers"
Marriage Equality New York (MENY) Announces Award Recipients
For Their 13th Annual Supporters Gala.
- New York, NY (1888PressRelease) May 17, 2011 - Marriage Equality New York (MENY) announced today the recipients of this year's Trailblazer Awards being presented on Thursday at their 13th Annual Supporters Gala (www.meny.us/gala).
Awards are being presented across five categories (Community, Celebrity, Political, Law and Media) to individuals and organizations that are fighting on the frontlines for marriage equality in New York State and beyond. Being honored this year are
• Andy & Penelope Hort (Community Trailblazers)
• Michelle Clunie (Celebrity Trailblazer)
• NYS Senator Diane J. Savino (Political Trailblazer)
• Edith "Edie" Windsor (Law Trailblazer)
• Roberta Kaplan, Esq. (Law Trailblazer)
• American Civil Liberties Union-ALCU (Law Trailblazer)
• New York Civil Liberties Union - NYCLU (Law Trailblazer), and
• Paul Schindler (Media Trailblazer)
With a guest list touting some of New York's elite, including Ari Gold, Sammy Crawford, Susan Herman, Esq. (President of the ACLU), Alphonso David (New York State Deputy Secretary of Civil Rights), Bobby Amirshahi (Vice President of Communications, Time Warner Cable), Troy Masters (Publisher, Gay Community News), the Honorable William K. Schmidt (former councilmember, City of Peekskill, NY), tickets for the A-list event are available for purchase via MENY's website at www.meny.us/gala. A VIP cocktail hour, which includes performances by Lea Delaria and David Raleigh, will kick off the event at 6:30pm. The awards ceremony will be hosted by Hedda Lettuce and begin around 8:30pm.
For more information about MENY or the gala email Peter Frank at pcfrank ( @ ) meny dot us or call 914-417-9579 dot For press inquiries, contact Tamara Walker at 347 dot 827 dot 1284 or via email at tamara ( @ ) nyprdiva dot net dot
ABOUT MARRIAGE EQUALITY NEW YORK (MENY)
MENY was founded over a decade ago and is the oldest grassroots organization in the state of New York dedicated solely to achieving marriage equality for same-sex couples. The organization is a registered 501(c) (3) not-for-profit corporation, boasting over 7,000 members. Most recently, MENY was instrumental in bringing 250+ pro-marriage activists to Albany to educate the New York Senate on why marriage equality matters.
With local chapters throughout New York State, MENY is leading the fight for equality. Our record of helping educate local and state politicians and candidates to support equal marriage rights legislation, and our continuing work through coalition building, public education seminars, political actions, and media campaigns keeps us at the forefront of the marriage equality debate, and establishes us as the "go-to" organization for marriage equality in
the state of New York.