Hilton Los Angeles/ Universal City Awarded National Green Seal, Silver Level Certification for Environmental Commitment
A "green" overview of the 2011 sustainability achievements, contribution and environmental initiatives of the team at Hilton Los Angeles / Universal City hotel.
- Los Angeles-Long Beach, CA (1888PressRelease) April 05, 2012 - Energy and environmental enthusiasts are increasingly calling businesses to take green action and implement sustainable initiatives. Hilton Los Angeles/ Universal City is making great strides and is proudly one of the few Green Seal Silver certified environmentally conscious lodging facilities in California. The hotel executives understand sustainability as the ability to meet present needs without comprising that of future generations. The Hilton is committed to energy-conservation, waste-minimization and executing an environmentally friendly operation. By doing this, the hotel is not only helping to reduce the greenhouse emissions that impact global climate change and save energy; but also improve efficiency, lower operating cost, provide a cleaner and healthier hotel environment, and set a positive example for employees that boosts morale and property loyalty. After all, preserving the world's natural resources is the responsibility of every individual both at work and at home.
Hilton Universal City continues to look ahead and innovate with green practices. In 2009 the hotel began working with Green Seal, a non-profit organization, which developed life cycle-based sustainability standards for lodging properties. This institution sets the environmental norm in the hospitality industry and offers third party certification for those that meet the set criteria. The partnership began the step by step process of compliance for the hotel and in January 2010, the Hilton Universal City attained the Bronze Level certification. This achievement turned a new chapter for the property, and its team members, in their green friendly operations.
Today, there are 15 recycling programs established in the hotel, which divert to 80-85% of the total waste from being sent to local landfills. Cardboard, printing paper, light bulbs, guestroom amenities, batteries, toner cartridges, aerosol cans, food waste, yard waste, and kitchen deep fry oil have all been included in the recycling process., The food waste, for example, goes from the hotel compactor to a material recovery facility, where it is separated, and then turned into organic compost. In 2011 alone, the team at Hilton Universal City recycled the following:
- 66 tons of cardboard and mixed materials (paper, plastic & aluminum)
- 2,897 light bulbs
- 54 ballasts, 313 toner cartridges, and 125 aerosol cans
- 2,682 pounds of plastic from guestroom amenities
- 4,499 pounds of soap from guestroom amenities
In total, the hotel helps save 724 trees and 198 cubic yards of landfill space. While recycling is just a fragment of the hotel's green operation, Hilton Universal City also initiates environmental friendly policies, including purchasing less hazardous chemicals for laundry, dish washing, and housekeeping, in order to protect our land, air, and water resources. In addition, the hotel has implemented energy efficient lamps and motion sensor timers in meeting rooms. They have water conserving toilet fixtures throughout the hotel, and they also offer a towel & linen conservation reuse program to guests who stay multiple nights.
General Manager, Mr. Juan Aquinde, CHA, consistently encourages team members to step up their current level of sustainability, even in their personal lives. "There are a number of ways we can practice sustainability individually. It is as easy as being conscious of the waste that we create on a daily basis. Learning to recycle properly is a big step in the right direction. If we all work together, our small collective changes will realize a more positive outlook for our environment." As a result, Hilton Universal City was awarded the highly regarded Silver Level Certification in June 2011, proudly becoming the only Hilton hotel in California, and one out of only seven hotels in the country, to attain this level of compliance.
Hilton Los Angeles/Universal City
A Southern California icon, the Hilton Los Angeles/Universal City is located in the heart of the "Entertainment District" and at the main entrance to Universal Studios Hollywood, Universal CityWalk, and the Gibson Amphitheater. Celebrating its 20th anniversary, this AAA Four Diamond hotel and its 473 guestrooms and 9 suites of comfortably lavish Hollywood accommodations is the ideal choice business or pleasure. Spectacular views of the Hollywood hills, award-winning restaurant, relaxed lounge, coffee bar and complimentary shuttle to Universal City attractions only enhance the years of service-focused hospitality, experienced around every corner.
Hilton Los Angeles/Universal City is located at 555 Universal City Hollywood Dr, Los Angeles, CA 91608. For additional information or to make a reservation, please contact the hotel by calling 818-506-2500, or online at www.hiltonuniversal.com.
Contact: Zarina Zertuche
zarina.zertuche ( @ ) hiltonuniversal dot com