Dr. Maya Angelou and Actor/Rapper Common in Washington, D.C. for annual celebration of Maya Angelou Schools on Thursday, May 3, 2012
Dr. Maya Angelou and Actor/Rapper Common will be in Washington, D.C. on Thursday, May 3 hosting the See Forever Foundation's annual fundraiser supporting the Maya Angelou Schools.
- Washington, DC-MD-VA-WV (1888PressRelease) April 28, 2012 - Each year, with the support and attendance of Dr. Maya Angelou, the See Forever Foundation/Maya Angelou Schools system hosts a dazzling and memorable fundraising event to recognize D,C. youth who attend the Maya Angelou Schools and exemplify a high standard of commitment to leadership and educational success. This year's annual event will ensure the continued success of the See Forever Foundation in supporting the success of its programs and the planned renovations of the Maya Angelou Public Charter School Campuses East of the River in Ward 7 of Washington, D.C.
In addition to hosting Dr, Maya Angelou, the See Forever Foundation will also welcome:
• Guest Host: Common, Grammy award-winning Actor and Rapper
• Patti Austin, Grammy award-winning Jazz Vocalist
• Congressman Chaka Fattah (D-PA)
• Jeff Majors, World-renowned Harp Master
• Russell Williams, II, two-time Oscar award-winning sound engineer
NBC4's Danella Sealock will join Common as host of this program.
Details for this year's benefit:
• WHAT: "Celebrate the Maya Way" with Dr. Maya Angelou
A fundraiser of the See Forever Foundation supporting the Maya Angelou Schools in Wash., D.C.
• WHEN & WHERE: Thursday, May 3, 2012, Stage Show: 7:00 p. m - 8:00 p.m.(doors open at 6:30p.m.) - The National Theatre, Washington, D.C., 1321 Pennsylvania Ave. NW, Washington, D.C. 20004 *There will be a VIP Reception, with media access, from 5:30pm - 6:30pm
• CELEBRITY HOST: Dr. Maya Angelou, Author, Poet, Global Renaissance Woman and Actor/Rapper Common, with NBC4's Danella Sealock
• GUEST PERFORMERS:
Common, Grammy award-winning Rapper and Actor
Patti Austin, Grammy award-winning Jazz Vocalist
Jeff Majors, Harp Master
Kindred, R&B, Neo-Soul Duo
Fat Trel, Critically-acclaimed Rapper
WHUR's Michele Wright
• THEME: Celebrating local "heroes and sheroes" who exemplify courage, compassion, tenacity, strength and leadership - traits exemplified at Dr. Angelou's namesake schools
Howard University, Community Service Award
The Morris & Gwendolyn Cafritz Foundation, Leadership Award
Jack Davies, Philanthropy Award
May 3rd Event Schedule:
• 5:30-6:30pm - VIP Reception
• 7:00-8:15pm - Main Stage Program
Interested Media: please contact Ingrid Padgett at ipadgett ( @ ) seeforever dot org or via 202 dot 797 dot 8250 for press credentialing dot
Qualified press will be admitted to VIP events and escorted throughout the fundraiser to enable photography and interview opportunities.
About See Forever Foundation/Maya Angelou Schools
Founded in 1997 as a multi-faceted, comprehensive educational program for Washington DC-based, at-risk teens, the See Forever Foundation now supports hundreds of high school and middle school students as they pursue successful academic paths at the Maya Angelou Schools in the District of Columbia. The Maya Angelou Schools include: two successful public charter school campuses, the school for adjudicated youth at New Beginnings Youth Development Center, and a Young Adult Learning Center that provides academic and workforce development to youth and young adults who are in need of GED supports, career training, internships, and pathways towards career employment. With a core goal of creating learning communities in lower income urban areas, students who have not succeeded in traditional schools can reach their potential at the Maya Angelou Schools, and develop the academic, social, and employment skills needed to move on to college, careers, and a lifetime of success.
More about our event with Dr. Maya Angelou: Each year, the See Forever Foundation - the nonprofit organization that exists solely to support the programs and services of the Maya Angelou Schools - hosts a fundraiser in support of the schools' important educational programs and wraparound services for at-risk students. To find out how you can support the work of Dr. Angelou's schools as a sponsor or volunteer, contact our Director of Development and Communications Ingrid Padgett via telephone at (202) 797-8250, or email at ipadgett ( @ ) seeforever dot org.