Dharamshila Cancer Hospital Commissions VMAT Radiation Based Next Genaration Radiation Technology First Time In Delhi, India
Delhi's first, Third Generation VMAT Radiation Technology is now available for IMRT, IGRT, SRS, SRT and SBRT with Arc Therapy at Dharamshila Hospital And Research Centre for cancer treatment in India.
- (1888PressRelease) March 07, 2011 - New Delhi - Dharamshila Hospital and Research Cancer Hospital in India achieved another pioneering step, our tenth, by commissioning our third Linear Accelerator, with next generation VMAT Radiation Technology, for the first time in Delhi, in January 2011.
In 2010, our department of radiation oncology, with two linear accelerators and Brachytherapy unit was treating patients till late at night to cater to an ever increasing work load of cancer patients. There was need to add a third linear accelerator with a state-of-the-art technology to deliver safe, accurate and efficient radiation in a short time with image guidance. A budget of Rs. 20 Crores was allocated for upgrading the radiation technology.
An expert team of Radiation Oncologists and Physicists gave a technical comparison of the specifications of the newer technology available in the market. Elekta Medical System India Pvt. Ltd. scored the highest in technology and was the most expensive one. Elekta had the licence to import Elekta Synergy Linear Accelerator but Atomic Energy Regulatory Board (AERB) of India had not issued the licence to import the VMAT Technology, which was the most attractive feature of the machine.
However, reports from John Hopkins Hospital, USA, Princess Margret Hospital, Canada, Royal Mardson Hospital, UK etc. helped us to go for the VMAT technology. Elekta was issued the licence to import Elekta Synergy VMAT by AERB and we purchased the machine in October 2010. The machine is fully functional and can deliver personalized, safe, efficient and high quality radiation, with enhanced dose conformance as per the tumour size, shape and pathology.
• Reduced (one tenth) total integral radiation dose to prevent recurrence of secondary tumours.
• Reduced treatment time 2 - 3 minutes against 30 minutes to prevent inconvenience specially for patients who cannot lie still for long time, children and elderly.
• No prolonged waiting time for treatment planning
• Higher tumour control probability
• Reduction in Radiation side effects by 60%
• Availability of all applications of Radiation i.e. IGRT, IMRT, SRS / SRT and SBRT under one roof for treatment of all types of cancers from head to toe.
Dharamshila Hospital And Research Centre is one of the best cancer hospitals in India for advanced cancer treatment. It is the largest cancer hospital in Delhi with a bed strength of 300. Dharamshila Hospital And Research Centre (DHRC) is India's First and only NABH accredited Cancer hospital with NABL Accredited labs. It is the only exclusive cancer treatment hospital which also has facilities for treatment of all other associated diseases of cancer patients, under one roof. DHRC has thousands of cancer survivors enjoying normal life. Being one of the top cancer treatment centre, DHRC attracts National and International Patients (UAE, African Countries, Nepal, Sri Lanka, Pakistan etc.)