Cyber Security: Senior Advisor from the Estonian Ministry of Defence to Discuss International Cooperation and Strategic Implications
Estonian Ministry of Defence to Speak at Cyber Warfare India.
- (1888PressRelease) June 30, 2011 - London, UK - Heli Tiirmaa-Klaar, Senior Advisor to the Undersecretary, Estonian Ministry of Defence, will be discussing international cooperation and strategic planning for cyber security at the Cyber Warfare India conference, taking place November 1st-2nd in New Delhi, India.
In an interview with Defence IQ, Tiirmaa-Klaar discusses how nations, including India, goes through a process of capacity building to optimise information sharing and early warning notifications. She states:
"There is a learning curve for every nation in cyber defence, and every nation will probably reach that level of maturity at some point. For some smaller nations, it's easier to reach and for larger nations, it takes more effort, political attention and resources. The targets are not only government or military sites but civilian infrastructure - it's everybody."
As India is making cyber warfare a priority by restricting attacks in cyber space, it has become crucial for the nation to uncover risks by creating transparency between countries.
Few nations are more aware of the disruption that this type of warfare can incur than Estonia, which became victim of the world's first large-scale nation cyber attack in 2007, but as Tiirmaa-Klaar clarifies, security must come from combined efforts of many nations:
"For countries outside Europe - if they raise their own resilience and if they enhance their own capabilities, especially law enforcement capabilities, and take responsibility in their cyber territory, this is a great help to [the rest of] the world."
Additional speakers from the conference faculty to review cyber norms include:
• Brigadier General A Basu, Director, Cyber Warfare, Integrated Defence Staff, Indian Armed Forces
• Lieutenant General Rhett Hernandez, Commander, US Army Cyber Command (ARCYBER)
• Rear Admiral Arnaud Coustillière, Cyber Defense General Officer, Defense Staff, French Ministry of Defense
• Group Captain Jonathan Burr, Deputy Director, Cyber Policy & Plans, UK Armed Forces
For details on briefings visit www.cyberwarfareindia.com, where you can also access complimentary content in the Media Centre.
Defence IQ invites Flag Officers 1 Star and above to attend the conference for free, by requesting a complimentary pass from defence ( @ ) iqpc dot co dot uk dot
The Defence IQ World Defence Community LinkedIn Group is open for membership at http://www.linkedin.com/groups.
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: Johanna Mikkela | IQPC, 2nd Floor, 129 Wilton Road, London SW1V 1JZ | Tel: +44 20 7368 9300