Cancare Foundation Launches Palliative Care Treatment Through Mobile Ambulance For Terminally Ill Cancer Patients
Cancare Foundation, a group formed to provide holistic care to cancer afflicted patients, today announced the donation of a mobile ambulance by JK Tyres, to provide palliative care to cancer patients at their doorstep.
- (1888PressRelease) November 14, 2010 - CANCARE FOUNDATION LAUNCHES PALLIATIVE CARE TREATMENT THROUGH MOBILE AMBULANCE FOR TERMINALLY ILL CANCER PATIENTS
• Innovative step to better access to medical services for cancer patients
• Cancare to support Government in creating awareness about palliative care
• Cancare to establish in house palliative care facility
The ambulance was launched by Mr. V K Subburaj, I.A.S., Principal Secretary, Department of Health and Family Welfare, Government of Tamil Nadu, at Kumaran Hospitals Pvt. Ltd., Kilpauk. The objective of this initiative is to address the timely medical needs of the cancer affected patients, who have limited mobility and require immediate treatment.
Present at the event were Ms. Akhila Srinivasan, Managing Director, Shriram Life Insurance Co. Ltd & Trustee, Cancare Foundation, Dr. S.G. Ramanan, Managing Trustee, Cancare Foundation, Dr. P Manimekalai, Director-Administration and Mrs. Nithya Sivakumar, Chief Operating Officer. The investment towards this initiative by JK Tyres is around Rs.3.00 lakhs.
Commenting on the occasion, Ms Akhila Srinivasan, Managing Director, Shriram Life Insurance and Trustee, Cancare foundation said, "There are more than 50 lakh people in India suffering from incurable and systemic diseases like AIDS, cancers and more, in need of essential palliative care. There is, therefore, a crucial need to establish a reasonably well-equipped medical system at home, which is what Cancare Foundation seeks to do."
Cancare Foundation realizes that in today's commercial world, it has become a challenge for cancer affected patients to receive expert medical attention at the right time and at reasonable expenses. In addition to the challenges posed by illnesses, many of the patients in India are extremely poor and do not have access to clean water, food or even shelter. When chronic or life threatening illnesses strike, it is a crippling blow for them and their families. This is one of the important areas that Cancare Foundation intends to address, by providing financial, medical, physical and psychological support to patients.
About Cancare Foundation
Cancare Foundation is a trust that will provide the much needed holistic care to those affected by cancer. Coming together in this mission are a team of oncologists and other socially committed individuals, whose primary concern will be to alleviate pain and suffering. The goal is to provide palliative care to terminal patients at their door step. The endeavour of the Trust is to take care of such needy patients from very low income groups. The next step is to set up a palliative care facility with 10 - 15 beds, trained nurses and physicians. An important area of the Trust's focus is also to support patients with curable cancers with finances and medical expertise. Education and Research are also part of the Trust's goals, as it reaches the lay public, cancer patients, general doctors, relatives and doctors training in oncology.
For further queries, please contact:
Akhila Srinivasan, Trustee
Cancare Foundation, Chennai
Email: akhila ( @ ) shriram dot com
CANCARE FOUNDATION - ONCOLOGISTS TEAM
Cancare Foundation intends to invest significant time, effort and money towards education and research in the field of oncology. The foundation has formed a five member group of senior oncologists, with over 12 years experience in all facets of cancer care including surgical, medical, radiation and palliative care. The group of doctors includes:
• Dr. C.S. Mani, a surgical oncologist who has special interest in head and neck cancer which is one of the common cancers in the country. He also has special interest in speech rehabilitation.
• Dr. Vikas Mahajan, a surgical oncologist who has special expertise in treating cancer of the chest particularly lung and esophagus. His other interest is in stomach, liver and pancreatic cancers.
• Dr. S. Ayyappan, a surgical oncologist has special interest in cancer in women particularly ovarian, breast and uterine tumors. He has unique expertise in laparoscopic surgery particularly in the lower gastro intestinal tract. He also specializes in tumors arising from bone and soft tissues.
• Dr. S.G. Ramanan is a medical oncologist by training and his main work involves treating patients with chemotherapy.
• Dr. Janarthinakani is a Radiation Oncologist by training and his special interest lies in treating patients with Head and Neck cancer with a combination of radiation and chemotherapy.